In this episode Bob flies solo, taking on the popular idea–embodied in a TV clip by Tucker Carlson but also Bernie Sanders’ “Stop BEZOS’ Act”–that Amazon, Walmart, and other giant employers offload some of their labor costs onto the taxpayers through the food stamp and similar programs.
Bob actually argues that, if anything, these federal programs probably lead Bezos et al. to pay higher hourly wages to workers, especially those in unpleasant jobs.
Mentioned in the Episode:
- Tucker Carlson’s TV spot condemning Bezos.
- Amazon’s deal with the CIA and potential deal with the Pentagon.
- Bob’s article at The Beacon critiquing Tucker Carlson / Bernie Sanders’ logic.
- Bob’s new book, Contra Krugman: Smashing the Errors of America’s Most Famous Keynesian.
- ADDED 11/13/2018: Casey Mulligan’s Mercatus paper detailing labor disincentives in Affordable Care Act (specifically the 3rd item).
The sound engineer for this episode was Chris Williams. Learn more about his work at ChrisWilliamsAudio.com.