Gene Epstein, former Barron’s economics editor and founder of the Soho Forum, joins Bob for a lively discussion covering a variety of topics. Gene explains that his mother, a card-carrying member of the Communist Party, had an FBI file and was responsible for Gene’s original position as a democratic socialist. It was only through his reading of Rothbard’s Man, Economy, and State that Gene became a free-market libertarian. Gene recounts his experiences teaching economics and working on the New York Stock Exchange, and shares examples of the abuse of economic statistics as detailed in his book Econospinning. Finally Gene offers Bob some advice for his upcoming debate with Tom Woods.
Mentioned in the Episode and Other Links of Interest:
- Murray Rothbard’s Man, Economy, and State (and Bob’s free study guide).
- Gene’s books Econospinning and Making Money in Commodities.
- The Contra Cruise website (which will feature Gene as a guest speaker in July 2019).
- Bob’s book Contra Krugman.
- The main website for the Soho Forum.
- Bob’s debate with George Selgin at the Soho Forum.
- DeLong calls Bob a clown who should give up economics.
- Krugman’s eight-week flip-flop on deficits after Trump’s election.
The sound engineer for this episode was Chris Williams. Learn more about his work at ChrisWilliamsAudio.com.