In the fall of 2018 three people went public with a long-running hoax in which they’d published fake papers to various feminist, critical studies, etc. journals. Perhaps the most memorable example was an article purporting to catalogue the number of “rapes” that occurred at a dog park. Bob explores the precise reasons for why (or why not) this hoax reflects poorly on the targeted fields.
Mentioned in the Episode and Other Links of Interest:
- A Vox article giving a (critical) summary of the episode.
- The long explanation of the hoax project, from its three creators.
- The journal retraction of the “dog park” hoax article, and the abstracts of the (genuine) articles from the same journal on researcher anxiety and “feminist killjoys.”
- Portland State University’s disciplinary action against Peter Boghossian.
- A Reason article noting big-gun support for Boghossian against PSU.
- Help support the Bob Murphy Show.
The audio production for this episode was provided by Podsworth Media.