Bob comments on various aspects of the response to the coronavirus. Although many libertarians are accusing the authorities of exaggerating the threat, it would also be a “libertarian take” to accuse them of downplaying the threat early on, misleading the public on how to stay safe. Bob also tries to clarify thinking about the Fed’s repo bailouts and the outrage over hand sanitizer price gouging.
Mentioned in the Episode and Other Links of Interest:
- U. of Minnesota’s Michael Osterholm (head of Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy) on CNBCs “Squawk Box” on Mar. 17, explaining what Americans should expect.
- Osterholm’s Mar. 10 appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience.
- Bob on the Tom Woods Show on Mar. 5, talking about a free society’s response to coronavirus (second half). Bob’s article from 2007 on how a free market would handle quarantine. Bob’s 2017 article on the economics of price gouging.
- Carlos Lara and Bob Murphy on “How to Weather the Coming Financial Storms,” a video from September 2016.
- David Stockman’s The Great Deformation (which explains why your ATM wasn’t about to stop working in the fall of 2008). Bob Higgs’ Crisis and Leviathan, which explains the ratchet effect of government power. Stephen King’s The Stand. #CommissionsEarned (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
- Help support the Bob Murphy Show.
The audio production for this episode was provided by Podsworth Media.