Oren Cass is the executive director of American Compass, a conservative think tank that stresses the importance of family and domestic industry, in opposition to a singleminded devotion to economic efficiency. Cass was previously a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, and was the domestic policy director for Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign. Bob and Oren have a friendly discussion about their disagreements on economic policy.
Mentioned in the Episode and Other Links of Interest:
- Oren Cass’ bio. The website for American Compass.
- An article summarizing the “broken windows” approach to policing.
- Two of Oren’s essays critiquing the libertarian case for free trade, at Law & Liberty and at American Mind.
- The National Review article on “The Return of Conservative Economics.”
- Oren’s appearance on Contra Krugman ep. 76, in which he explained the problems with claims that repealing ObamaCare would kill huge numbers.
- Bob’s 3-part series at IER summarizing Oren’s House testimony on estimates of climate change damages. Bob’s 2-part series at IER article summarizing Oren’s critique of a carbon tax.
- Help support the Bob Murphy Show.
The audio production for this episode was provided by Podsworth Media.