Ben Powell, head of the Free Market Institute at Texas Tech, discusses his newly released book Socialism Sucks (co-authored with Robert Lawson). Powell and Lawson toured countries around the world to observe firsthand life under ACTUAL socialism–in places like North Korea and Venezuela–versus places that merely have large welfare states (like Sweden). They concluded that, well, socialism sucks.
- The new book by Ben Powell and Robert Lawson, Socialism Sucks: Two Economists Drink Their Way Through the Unfree World.
- The Free Market Institute at Texas Tech.
- The Economic Freedom of the World Report (and related literature).
- A Powell essay on the economic case for immigration.
- FMI’s Kevin Grier (and co-author) using synthetic control to assess the impact of Hugo Chavez’s regime.
- How you can contribute to the Bob Murphy Show.
The audio production for this episode was provided by Podsworth Media.