Dr. Sabine Hossenfelder is a Research Fellow at the Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, where she heads the “Analog Systems for Gravity Duals” group. Bob first asks her to explain why physicists began using the concepts of “dark matter” and “dark energy” to explain their observations of galaxies. Then they discuss her June New York Times column in which she explained that existing computer models can’t tell us if climate change poses an existential threat or is merely an inconvenience.
Mentioned in the Episode and Other Links of Interest:
- The YouTube video of this interview.
- Sabine Hossenfelder’s Twitter account and blog.
- Dr. Hossenfelder’s (co-authored) article on dark matter and her NYT article on limitations of current climate models.
- Hossenfelder’s book Lost in Math: How Beauty Leads Physics Astray. #CommissionsEarned (As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
- Help support the Bob Murphy Show.
The audio production for this episode was provided by Podsworth Media.